Emulex Announces Support for Cisco Data Center Fabric with Comprehensive High-Performance Connectivity and Management
Emulex OneConnect UCNAs and LightPulse HBAs Support New Cisco Nexus Switches and new Nexus and MDS Multihop FCoE Modules
COSTA MESA, Calif., March 30, 2011 –Emulex Corporation (NYSE:ELX), the leader in converged networking solutions, today announced that its OneConnect™ 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE) Universal Converged Network Adapters (UCNAs) and LightPulse® 8Gb/s Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) support the enhanced Cisco Data Center Fabric, announced this week as a culmination of three years of innovation.
"Cisco continues to help drive network convergence in the data center, particularly with new director-class, multihop FCoE capabilities that will bring convergence to life for more enterprises today," said Shaun Walsh, vice president of marketing, Emulex. "Leveraging Emulex connectivity within the enhancements offered by Cisco's Data Center Fabric help enable customers to take advantage of the high-performance connectivity they're accustomed to, while protecting existing infrastructure investments."
Cisco continues to tightly integrate Unified Computing, Unified Fabric, and Unified Network Services into the holistic Cisco Data Center Fabric designed to be simple, scalable and secure, delivering any application across any location, within the data center, across data centers, or to the cloud.
Cisco Unified Fabric delivers network management convergence and "wire once" agility from the server to the storage array for physical and virtualized environments. Emulex connectivity solutions are supported across the following enhanced technology innovations components of the Cisco Data Center Fabric, a tightly integrated, flexible, high-performance, highly secure, shared infrastructure:
- OneConnect UCNA support for Cisco Nexus 7000: Emulex OneConnect UCNAs support Cisco Nexus 7000 Series, Cisco's flagship Ethernet Storage Director that now provides Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) support for the first time. Emulex OneConnect adapters offer multiprotocol support and hardware offload, which removes the overhead from the CPU and helps enable more virtual machines (VMs) per server.
- OneConnect UCNA and LightPulse 8Gb/s HBA support for Cisco Nexus 5500: Emulex provides comprehensive support for the enhanced Cisco Nexus 5500 fixed switches, enabling flexibility for customers to leverage their existing SAN connectivity investments, and utilize Emulex OneConnect UCNAs for protocol-agnostic connectivity. With Unified Ports, a multiprotocol universal port design, customers now have the flexibility to use either an HBA or UCNA adapter to meet their ever-changing data center needs.
- Support for Adapter FEX and VM FEX within Cisco Nexus 5548UP and 5596UP Switches: Emulex also plans to support the new AdapterFEX and VM FEX functionality across the new Cisco Nexus 5548UP and 5596UP Switches. AdapterFEX helps enable partitioning of a physical server NIC into multiple logical NICs, while VM FEX offers these capabilities to virtual machines.
- OneConnect UCNA support for enhanced Cisco MDS 9000 switches: Emulex UCNAs support the new MDS 9000 Series Multilayer Switches. FCoE Module, which offers increased bandwidth and seamless interoperability with the Nexus platform, while bridging Converged Networks to FC SANs.
- Broad management support across Cisco Nexus and MDS switches: Emulex OneCommand™ Management Framework help enable IT managers to manage their adapters across any platform. Leveraging open APIs, the Emulex OneCommand Management Framework supports the new converged management solution from Cisco, for a 'single pane of glass' view into data center connectivity.
"Cisco, together with our technology partners, are arming customers with a powerful, flexible, cloud-ready infrastructure enabling the next-generation data center," said Jackie Ross, vice president of Marketing, Server Access and Virtualization Technology Group for Cisco. "Emulex's comprehensive portfolio of adapters are the multiprotocol 'glue' connecting servers to the network and the network to storage arrays."
Emulex OneConnect UCNAs provide optimized 10GbE network performance with Emulex vEngineTM technology. Emulex vEngine technology offers full hardware protocol offload support for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), iSCSI and FCoE and optimizes virtualized servers with support for virtual queues, multiple NIC PCI functions and emerging Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) standards. This results in 20% more virtual machines (VMs) per server to optimize infrastructure investment.
Emulex LightPulse 8Gb/s Fibre Channel HBAs offer the throughput, scalability, and reliability necessary for I/O intensive applications and high-density virtual server environments. Emulex LightPulse HBAs offer common drivers and virtual HBA technology based on industry-standard N-Port ID Virtualization (NPIV), which provides VMs with independent access to the SAN through shared HBA resources, enabling customers to leverage critical SAN management tools and best practices within virtualized server environments.
The Emulex LightPulse and OneConnect™ families of storage and network adapters are available across a wide portfolio of Cisco solutions, offering wide interoperability and management support.
For more information on Emulex solutions for Cisco, please visit: www.emulex-cisco.com.
Follow Emulex on Twitter: www.twitter.com/emulex
Emulex is the leader in converged networking solutions for the data center. Our Connectivity Continuum architecture provides intelligent networking services that transition today's infrastructure into tomorrow's unified network ecosystem. Emulex provides a single framework that intelligently connects every server, network and storage device within the data center. Through strategic collaboration and integrated partner solutions, Emulex provides its customers with industry leading business value, operational flexibility and strategic advantage. Emulex is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:ELX) and has corporate headquarters in Costa Mesa, California. News releases and other information about Emulex Corporation are available at www.emulex.com.
Emulex Safe Harbor Statement
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: With the exception of historical information, the statements set forth above include forward-looking statements that involve risk and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements include, among other matters, statements concerning Emulex’s acquisition of ServerEngines Corporation, including anticipated benefits expected from the acquisition, expected impact on Emulex’s results of operations and financial condition, and expected market opportunities; Emulex’s business outlook, as well as expectations of other future events and future performance. Emulex wishes to caution readers that a number of significant factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. Those factors include among others, the anticipated benefits of the combined companies may not be achieved, the combined operations may not be successfully integrated in a timely manner, if at all, and other risks inherent in acquisitions of businesses, including unanticipated costs and expenditures, potential changes in relationships with strategic partners, potential contractual or intellectual property issues, and potential accounting charges and write-downs; as well as changes in economic and industry conditions and the effects of ongoing global economic uncertainty, changes in end user demand for technology solutions; the effect of any actual or potential unsolicited offers to acquire Emulex; Emulex’s dependence on a limited number of customers and the effects of the loss of, or decrease or delays in orders by, any such customers, or the failure of such customers to make payments; the emergence of new or stronger competitors as a result of consolidation movements in the market; the rapidly changing nature of technology, evolving industry standards and frequent introductions of new products and enhancements by competitors; the effect of rapid migration of customers towards newer, lower cost product platforms; slower than expected growth of the storage networking market or the failure of Emulex’s Original Equipment Manufacturer (“OEM”) customers to successfully incorporate Emulex products into their systems; delays in product development; the highly competitive nature of the markets for Emulex’s products; Emulex’s ability to gain market acceptance for its products; any inadequacy of Emulex’s intellectual property protection or the potential for third-party claims of infringement; Emulex’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; and Emulex’s reliance on third-party suppliers. These and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are also discussed in Emulex’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its recent filings on Forms 8-K, 10-K and 10-Q. Statements in this release are based on current expectations and, except as required by law, Emulex undertakes no obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statements for any reason. All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies.
# # #