Baseboard management controllers (BMCs) are at the heart of reducing costs associated with managing servers. Emulex’s Pilot family of “integrated” BMC (iBMC) solutions revolutionized the industry by integrating the BMC, Super I/O, Graphics controller and Remote Keyboard, Video, Mouse and Storage (KVMS) functionality into a single ASIC, providing significant cost savings to data center managers. Like a standard BMC, when embedded in a server system or appliance, the iBMC simplifies the management of the remote server systems and appliances, whether physical or virtual servers, thereby reducing operational costs.
The Pilot 3 iBMC uses ClearKVM™ technology to deliver a faster and clearer remote management experience. Watch the ClearKVM demonstration to see the following features supported by ClearKVM:
- Graphics compression versus video compression for the clearest possible remote experience, regardless of the connection bandwidth
- Patented hardware acceleration, resulting in high cursor response time and tracking
- Direct access to ASCII data when a text mode is displayed, allowing superior text rendering, regardless of connection bandwidth
- Remote boot capability with broad storage device type support and high performance remote storage data transfer rates
- Virtual keyboard and function key access (e.g., need a Japanese keyboard or need to enter the BIOS screen during boot-up)
With short time-to-market, increased complexity and competitive market requirements, Emulex has taken the lead in providing server manufacturers’ with state-of- the art server technology such as the Emulex Pilot family of iBMC solutions. Delivering key features that take advantage of each new generation of processors, the Pilot iBMC has become the de facto standard with millions of ASICs shipped worldwide. With Intel® embedding the Pilot 3 iBMC in every Intel Xeon® E3-1200 based servers, Pilot 3 is positioned to be the premier iBMC on the market.
- Simplified management of remote servers, systems and appliances, thereby reducing operational costs
- Auto-discovery of system problems, increasing availability
- Boot from storage device (CD-ROM, DVD ROM, ISO image, floppy disk or USB flash disk), increasing operational efficiency
- Control reset and power to the motherboard, as well as read status information through Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI), allowing the remote server to fully manage and monitor the host system, thereby reducing operational costs
The Emulex Pilot 3 iBMC is ideal for data center customers within the SCI, Cloud Computing, Web2.0, HPC, Corporate and SMB markets.
You can find the Emulex Pilot 3 iBMC embedded in the following applications:
- General purpose servers
- Blade servers
- Storage systems
- Networking systems
IPMI and remote KVMS firmware is available from Emulex and the following partners. When combined with the Pilot3 iBMC, the combination provides a complete solution to our server manufacturer customers.